Hypothyroidism is closely tied to Adrenal Fatique, and the symptoms overlap, so I found I needed to treat both conditions to reach an optimal health level. My one regret is that it took me 2 years to get there, so I really wish I had been more proactive.
From what I read on Stop the Thyroid Madness, its best to treat Adrenals first to strengthen the body so it can handle the Thyroid medication. Here is a summary for treating Hypothyroidism and Adrenals, but please research and talk with your doctor about what might work for you.
According to Stop the Thyroid Madness the commonly prescribed “T4-only” Synthetic Thyroid Medicines Don’t Work. And further explain why many patients, like myself, have returned to the medication that successfully used from the late 1800’s onward: natural desiccated thyroid hormones, more commonly known as Naturethroid, Erfa’s Canadian “thyroid”.
I use Naturethroid because of the good feedback from other patients. It took time and experimentation to find the right Thyroid medicine dose for me (I hear this is common) but I started slow. Here is what I do:
• 2.5 pills of Naturethroid a day
• One pill in the morning, another at mid-day, and a half pill before dinner.
• This part is critical: I let the pill dissolve under my tongue because it gets into blood stream faster. (Swallowing the pill means I have to avoid eating eating for hours, which is just a pain in the neck.)
My adrenal fatigue symptoms included:
• Difficulty falling asleep at night
• Waking frequently during the night
• Difficulty waking in the morning, not feeling refreshed
• Bright lights bothered me more than others
• Startled easily due to noise
• Dizzy/lightheaded when standing from sitting or from lying down
• Took things things too seriously, stressed, anxious
• Difficulty copying with certain people or events
• Stress related nausea, panic attacks and shaking
• Extreme Fatique
• Taking days to recover from even minor stress
This was all due to low cortisol, which I have treated through Hydrocortisone/Cortef (a low dose steroid). I take 25 mg/day, and stress dose as needed. if you would like more resources please email me, or visit Stop the Thyroid Madness to read about: